Wednesday 30 August 2017

Results From the Walnut Bath

I was initially disappointed with the first two efforts of the other day, but I probably have myself to blame. I have always used the cloth straight from the bolt because......

a) I'm lazy and don't preplan enough to prewash.
b) I've convinced my self over the years that I like the mottled appearance I get from unwashed material with the manufactures sizing still present.
c) I tend to rush things.

DOH.

So this last batch, I used fresh walnuts ( from my Walnut Lady... no more fighting the squirrels! LOL) and I added the material to the simmering mix and left on the heat for half an hour and then in the garage a full 24 hours.
Was there much improvement?
Not that much, but I do have an interesting range of brown. Whether things would be much different with wool or linen, I have no idea.

I don't know whether it's me, but I see a touch of pink in the light pieces.................


No comments:

Post a Comment