Wednesday 16 August 2017

Binding the Quilt

For what ever reason I developed a mental block regarding the binding of this quilt. I was dismayed that I had to assemble the material for cutting the binding by hand as well as stitch it all on, by hand.
Funny little road block, seeing how much hand work had already gone into it.
So I ignored the quilt for week, (showed it off to some friends) and today I dove in.

Sometimes you just have to wait.

After refreshing my mind re the method of making continuous bias binding, I discovered I had just enough material to do this. That had been one of those unconscious worries.
The math was pretty simple so knowing I could make well over 400 inches of binding, I started stitching, cutting, marking and assembling.



After cutting large square diagonally, it was resewn to create a diamond shape. This was then sewn into a lop-sided tube and cut into a 2.5 in. strip. (There are many examples of this method on line.)

After reading a trick to control slippage with bias materials, I heavily starched and ironed the strip into binding a French binding. The quilt was marked with a cutting line. I will use this to follow with the binding a a placement guide. 


Now...... all I have to do is stitch, for a few days!


No comments:

Post a Comment