Saturday 31 December 2016

Winter Brook

In my morning walks I cross over a stream that drains the runoff of our newly developed area. I'm sure it was much more important when there were no houses and streets. Birds and rabbits seem to be the only remaining wildlife here, but it still serves them well.
I remembered to take some photos last week and now I've been thinking about techniques for rendering this into cloth.

There is a lot going on here so I went looking for a simpler version and found this picture I had captured in 2015.

A lot of differences but enough similarities I decided to try it.
I spent the last few days thinking about techniques. It certainly didn't lend itself to crumbs and netting. Some of this would be easily done with fusing, the water in particular, while the trees could be done with larger snippets.
The snow, however is crying out for curved piecing. This would enable some trapunto type contouring in the assembly. In doing that, it is telling me minimal over stitching.

With all these decision half made, I transferred the image to light interfacing. This will be the base of the picture. Any patterned I may need I have to make first, before I begin and the surface and the lines will gradually obscure all my colouring.



Now I have to hunt through my stash...........
ALL THE STORES WILL BE CLOSED TOMORROW.
so I can't shop! oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooO?

No comments:

Post a Comment