Monday 19 September 2016

New Inspiration and an old Recipe

I spend hours looking at photographs on the internet, waiting for that spark when I find a view/photo/art piece that I says  " DO ME! "Some of the time it's a waste of time, but other times I multitask.
SURF and BAKE.
Sounds like a child's toy?

I've found this photo and fallen in love.
When I consider the hours and days and sleepless nights that usually accompany my new works ( not to mention my crabbing to hubby......He SWEARS I do this ALL the time ) I have to love the idea.
I'm committing here big time.
Here is the next one.


I've already spent hours deciding the hows and discarding other ideas.
Yes, I have a quilt to finish ( which I'll do today) but I spend a lot of time looking at my stash (one of the reasons I sorted it the other day) and deciding on size. (I'm thinking this one will be a full 3 ft tall, the width of the canvas roll.)
I need to make more birch fabric, I may paint or dye to get the vibrant yellows.......

But while I was sitting here this morning... I made granola.
I LOVE MY granola.
It's half rolled oats and half everything else. Nuts, coconut and fruit.
As it takes up to 2 hours to prepare and bake ( I always make a double batch as hubby has begun eating it as well,) I spend the waiting time surfing.

So here the basic recipe: adapted from Alton Brown

3 C rolled oats
1 C slivered almonds      ( I vary the nuts all the time sometimes using pumpkins seed, walnuts etc.)
1 C cashews
3/4 C shredded coconut
1/4 + C brown sugar
1/4 + C maple syrup
1/4 C vegetable oil
3/4 t. salt
1 C + dried fruit

Combine all but the fruit and bake on large trays or roasting pans @ 250F. for up to 1+1/2 hours stirring regularly.
(I usually wait till I can smell the maple syrup.)
Out of the oven, add the dried fruit of your choice. Personally, I use only cranberries. Too much raisin bran as a kid.

Store in an air tight container. This is enough for a couple of weeks...for us.

Then EAT..topped with yogurt (hubby makes ours)


ENJOY every morning or anytime RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX !
LOL
( All done.....now I can sew!)


No comments:

Post a Comment