Thursday 19 March 2015

Foreground for the fawn

After 3 hours of quilting this morning I tackled the landscape again.
Even I get bored with some of the necessary work, so I needed to jump ahead and work on tree placement. I've tried this a few times and this seem the best.

 
 The fawn is still paper. I've removed the very large tree that was in the original as it just seemed to cut the piece in half. I went with a younger forest. But the colour is all wrong, So I began what I thought would be a very tedious exercise, cutting millions of ovals, but it turned out to be so rewarding seeing the piece move forward I didn't notice the work at all.
It was necessary to darken the fore ground first. The multi laid down was intended as show through or background. The forest floor is never one colour. Layers of leaves can be many shades of yellow and brown. The newer growth pushes up through the duff.

 
I put down a layer of dyed cheese cloth before I applied the leaves..one by one. They are anchored with only a few stitches but caught and protected by netting.
By the time I finished this afternoon, I had started in with 3 different material colours for the leaves. There will probably be many more.
I did go back and finish the green grassy area, threw in a forest edge shrub, and then placed four trees.
Now it feels like progress has been made. The light area at the rear makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment