Wednesday 4 February 2015

I've Been Enchanted Once More

Some of you will think this as a very strange love affair in the dead of winter, but I was simply mesmerized by this photo I found on the website Bored Panda.

 
 Yes I know its bleak and no one in their right mind would want to be there ( as we cope with the piles of snow outside our doors), but.......it haunts me. What more can I say.

At the summer CGA show there was a piece where a woman had used her longarm and "drew" fields of windblown snow. It was awesome. No it didn't win. But I was really, REALLY impressed.

So my first step was to play with dying some fabric in shades of grey. This is a real hit and miss thing for me as I use paints, not dye.

I tried a fractionating method use in chemistry and bio analysis. A piece of white cloth was suspended in a dilute paint solution just touching the surface, and left there for several hours. The paint migrates up the fibres. Then it was dried in a vertical manner. I would really love to have a piece of dyed cloth the full size that I need but this will have to do. I'm impatient to start this.

 
 
 
So there's the first pass. The white fabric on the right either needs some fusible facing to make it less transparent, or I need to cut the road edge on the right. If I did that I could use a whole white piece underneath it.
My sky is in two pieces because my fabric wasn't big enough to do it on one. I don't think it really detracts from the whole. It looks like another hill/mountain. 
 
This is OKAY.......just.
I think My problem is, my mind envisions this piece at about 6 feet by 4 feet. That ain't gonna happen right now. (Never say never).
 
So here it is in its assembled (glue and fused) form. This will now hang on my wall and maybe more usefully become my screen saver. I'll stare at it everyday until I "know" how I will finish it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment