Thursday 12 February 2015

Baby Quilt - Day 3

I was very aware that this quilt was dark and masculine and the fabric prints really didn't do much to brighten the greens. In addition I was really disappointed how the white edging I spent hours on, turned out really messy and it disappeared completely with some of the blocks. All those print were of a slightly different dimension. AUGH!
Yes I considered taking them all apart, but the fabric of the camouflage print was not a tight weave and I had concerns the small pieces might shred too much.

So, there I had these little pictures, their edges already compromised with 5 layers of cloth folds and I proposed to add more.

I decided to satin stitch around each one to conceal the irregularities. AND if I used primary colours I could add some life!

Well easier said than done of course. I found the white showed through in spots as the material didn't want to feed smoothly because of the varying layers of cloth. So I hauled out my permanent colour pens, and coloured in the white. Simple!

 
 After colouring the flange I could stitch right over and not have any white peek through.


I broadened the range of colours to the colour wheel 6. This should make the piece much more interesting. It's also a little tactile under the fingers. Yes, I have wondered how this might impact of the final quilting. I've been thinking about that too. Already.

No comments:

Post a Comment