Friday 5 December 2014

Terminator Peak, Purcell Mountains,Golden B.C.

 
This is the winter view from the living room at LeBeausoleil B&B in Golden BC. Not too shabby.
( Ski season opens Dec 12.)
Back in 2011, my sister commissioned me to make a pair of fire place screens, one of which was this view.
I paper-pieced it and at 4 ft. by 3 ft., it was quite an undertaking for me. Now I think I would do it differently.

 
It still stands the test of time, but I have been thinking of redoing it. So as a quick study I decided to do a  tiny, portion, Terminator Peak. This is the mountain peak, left of center.

 
My skills have changed and, there is my favourite subject once more, Trees! Oh, and snow of course.
So first comes a cartoon and as I will be sending these west, I'm doing multiples, 4. These will not be big, only about 10" by 12".


Always a little poetic licence enters here, but the bones are assembled and ready for stitching. The photo is very gray. This is due in part to the distance, snow cover and the every present blowing that puts a fine mist of snow in the picture.


I'm very stubborn, right now about using only materials from my stash. Maybe someone will give me a BIG gift certificate for Christmas. But these work well.


So to finish off for today, I made one pass with Pearl Seta colour. Using a vertical brush I dabbed a thin solution onto the lighter areas of the mottled green. This will stand for snow between the trees. I decided to apply it first as the entire green area will probably be over stitched with tree trunks.
A  few passes at the mountain edge stand for blowing snow. Its very easy to over work this material so light coatings dried and heat set will be my approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment