Sunday 23 November 2014

Tofino - 5 - Barely there

I wanted to insert a few little critters into this piece for a couple of reasons. Their presence gives a little tension to the scene and their size adds to the scale.

However, I didn't want them to be the center of attention. I tried a newt in a drab material but it still stuck out, rather than being barely there. So today I tried a different method.

This piece has become too dense to stitch directly onto, and I wanted a simple outline. The solution was "genius" lol. I sandwiched a sketch on wash away stabilizer between  two pieces of netting.  After sewing an outline stitch, I was able to remove the shiny stabilizer by simply running the netting under the tap. A quick cut out and then anchored to the picture. The toad was stitched all around but the newt was anchored in two spots only so he sits on top of the bark of the tree.

Toad and Newt - barely there!

 
drawing on shiny stabilizer sandwiched between two pieces of net

 
outline stitch

 
Toad - barely there

 
Love my Newt - floating on the tree

No comments:

Post a Comment