Friday 24 October 2014

Jelly Bean - 3D Architectural detail

Since I decided to work to this goal, I had to make a trip to my fabric store to by the some of the stiff poly material used to give body to purses. Tad pricey @ $16 /yd. but it will do the trick.
UNFORTUNATELY I spent a lot more than I expected because I found my upholstery GIMP, that I had used to make the tree in my Winter Solstice piece. Hurrah. (Watch for more trees in the future.)

After doing penance for spending ( I bought other stuff too,) by working my front flower bed and making a trip to the landfill with the garden waste, I finally got down to the studio.
( I also started my fruit cake for 2015)

Using the pencil drawings I was able to transfer the shapes and dimensions to the poly sheet by simply inserting a pin at the corners in the picture. It left a mark clear enough so I could draw the lines with my disappearing pen. A "exacto" knife worked best to cut out the pieces. This material is about 1mm thick. When each is coated with material and stacked it should give a nice 3D touch.

The window has 3 layers while the door and front porch actually have 5. There are more but I'll treat the steps as a separate entity.


 
I used the heavy "heat and bond" to attach the material and fold it around the pieces of poly. The last or outer piece folded over the outside edge to hide and bind all the pieces together. Rather finicky work. I resorted to using a fabric cement to turn under the top and bottom edge points.
 


Rather than cut the red background siding, a piece of "sky" and "glass" material will give a realistic touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment