Friday 1 August 2014

Salmon - Day 3 Thread painted

Thread painting, in this case, is really only adding the veins in the fins, the scales and the gills.
Now I can work on the background.

 
I did add some thin black paint to the belly and the tail. I removed the black organza to let more of the green show through.

It really didn't take much thought to decide which fabric I wanted to use. I was going to overlay with organza to muddy the background as if underwater. But then I decide to have my fish moving up the rapids above water. That necessitated waves and splashes.

 
I went with a technique I had used before, tracing a picture of water onto tearaway stabilizer. As it's translucent, it enabled me to position it over a "natural" item in my material.

 
 
 This was fastened with tight stitches, the excess cut away, and then the stabilizer removed.


This "splash" still needs a lot of colour, primarily white.

No comments:

Post a Comment