Monday 11 August 2014

Painted cloth -Time to Take Stock

The weather is changing today so this will be the last of my painting for a bit. Apparently I've been a BEAR ( according to DH ) and I'll attribute that to my not sewing/working on anything at ALL. (I did have a DJ package and it's disappeared $$%#$#^) It will turn up but It has contributed to my grumpy mood.

I decided it was time to get smart about this painting stuff. I've almost used up $60 worth of paint PLAYING. I really didn't know what I was aiming for. I'm sure that contributed to my mood too. So I decided today for the last of a bit, I would give my painting a focus.

I took a few minutes to mix of a small amount of the secondary colours. While they aren't often featured in my work ( Except green) they are very necessary to put minute shifts in the colours.

Talking with DH, ( who is a brilliant photographer) I was bemoaning I had used almost all 250 ml of yellow.
I had discovered, when you make green you add the blue to the yellow, and when you make orange, you add the red to the yellow. They demand a far more skewed ratio than half and half. Apparently that explained to him the order YMCK, the colours in Printing and silk screening: yellow, magenta, cyan and black.

 
So here are my base colours. These are mixed a little over half and half with water. This stuff comes like sour cream.
 
I've gone thru almost 8 1/2 yards of white cotton @ $5/yd. That translates into about $2:50 a Fat Quarter. That's usually the limit I will pay in stores unless its REALLY cool. So I guess this is still in line. ( I just bought a whole bolt of 40 inch white..20 yards....BUT...)
 
Today I decided I wanted a piece of night...or dark... whatever. Transferable to sky, or water, or stone.
 

This is very dilute black, with a touch of blue and green. Its dried quickly in the sun. It IS ironed flat.
The lighter areas are from the way the paint moved. I rumbled it wet on the grass. Could be a very interesting background. But I will probably over paint it.


This piece has me gnashing my teeth. I was aiming for sky at sunset etc and while my back was turned the wind blew it into a heap and the black dried unevenly.
SIGH! Not a complete waste but........

On to the mop up. That wishy washy blue took up the black.

 
And my "I think this one is almost done".......is done.

 
I had excess red so I blended the yellow orange and red and "painted " it onto the water proof sheet and lay the piece on it. Definitely a field of flowers now.

So that all for a bit. This process generates so much clutter that needs to be controlled and organized, so its not like army manoeuvers every time I want to paint.

I still have lots of good weather ahead.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment