Thursday 3 July 2014

Brown Bears

I decided to work on the light brown one first.
I put this one on a brown background as I suspected I might be putting on a more open background. This way I could trim it close and any brown bits really wouldn't show.


There were a lot of things I liked about the "doe". It was a much larger piece, but I wanted to incorporate a few of those things. I chose some cheater cloth, one I use sparingly anymore . This bear was going to be an open deciduous forest in the late fall. I wanted no evergreens in this scene.

 
The "trees" will be framed top and bottom by foliage, so only a narrow piece was necessary. As a first addition, micro bits in 3 shades of orange/brown were netted directly  onto the cloth background.
 
 
At this point I added batting, stabilizer and a foliage transition piece at the top. Larger "leaves" were added at the margin between the forest and the foliage. Netted again, a few fine branches were added.
Some dimensional stitching was added to the "tree trunks".
 
At this point the Bear was stitched into place and thread painted, to soften those hard transitions between the fabrics.

 
Time to change bears. I took a 180 degree twist on this one and thread painted it first. All of the filler is going to be overlaid so there was no reason to work the background first.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment