Thursday 5 June 2014

The Doe - Working the background

In the past I have used a lot of preprinted "cheater" cloth. Material that had a forest scene or a winter theme. I want to move away from that so I have tried a few different things. Smaller pieces each part of the background can be cut and sewn or thread painted. I have tried tiling and it has some great features about it. But this time I wanted to try a random mosaic look for the distant forest. Patches of fall leaf colour and bright sky shining through.

I started with some batik fat quarters, selected 7 and cut strips roughly 2 inches wide. These I sewed together randomly.
 
 
 
 
The 3 browns were almost a match to the Doe and two multies of orange and greens represented the fall leaves.
After sewing 2 strips together I cut them all into 2 inch pieces and re-stitched everything again and again till I have a full panel. This will be the placed immediately behind the Doe.
 
 
But of course, the sky is not regular patches in the forest. So I took the rotary cutter and made 5+slashes.
 
 And sewed it all back together again. I had hoped I might avoid this part but it looks so much better.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment