Wednesday 2 April 2014

Best Friends Forever

I just can't sit idle and I can't get into the garden. (I'm not desperate enough to spring clean though.)
Snow is almost gone and rain is in the forecast. I saw some school children the other day in their new rain gear. They were cute!
I don't usually do cute but all I could think of was Sun Bonnet Sue in rain gear. So here she is!
But she looked kind of lonely so I gave her a Best Friend. Who better to splash in the puddles with.


I couldn't help but grin when I looked at this.

Their position on the cloth needed to be defined so the puddles at their feet were on the sidewalk, so an edging of grass was required.



But the whole thing is too bright. I auditioned several colours of organza as an over lay. But they were shiney rather than deepening the colours. Black was great if I was doing a serious piece, but this is whimsy.

I have had a piece of organza in my collection whose colour I can't define ( red? purple? brown?)




It deepened the red and tamed the yellow slicker and there is a complex colour play where it ripples.
This could be the one.

But first, I decided to continue on with the idea of spring flowers. I had no suitable material to add discrete flowers at the right scale so I fell back on one of my favourite method. Fabric Chips
I went thru my scraps and pulled out the pinks, yellows, purple and greens associated with spring flowers.
Where they fell is where they are. After covering the whole piece with a fine netting, and placing a million pins to anchor all the bits, I micro meandered in invisible thread, over all the areas with chips, making sure each piece had a line of stitching holding it in place.

Tomorrow I'll deal with the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment