Sunday 2 March 2014

Starting Over

On Feb 4th I showed you the OOP's Quilt. Wasn't thinking, Cabin fever? Who knows but it was bad!



I'm happy to say that  I finished ripping out all the quilting. I had restricted myself to 1 to 2 hours in the late afternoon for the chore. I could sit down with a glass of wine, cuddle IN the quilt as this interminable winter closed in every evening and cut stitches.
I cut everyone!
I wanted a clean removal with no tears or damage. The holes left by the heavy stitching were formidable and there were times that I thought I had really ruined it, but I carried on. On Mar 1, I decided I'd had enough of this silliness and sat down and in a 6 hour marathon. finished.

Lots of holes!
 


So today, I separated the three pieces, top, batting and backing. I picked off all the threads. I reasoned that since the batiks had been immersed in water who knows how many times during their manufacture, they weren't going to shrink so I decided to wash them to help close the holes from the stitches. I sewed the back and front separately into  tubes to minimize fraying and matting. Without adding detergent, they were gently agitated for a very short time, then spun dry. Into the dryer to damp dry, stitches undone and then ironed. I decided while I was at it I may as well preshrink the batting.


So everything sits now waiting for the quilting muse to tell me the RIGHT pattern. Then I will begin again.









in

No comments:

Post a Comment