Saturday 29 March 2014

Moving On - The Chickadee

My step daughter's gift to me for my birthday was a delightful acrylic of a chickadee. We both love these little birds and she renders them so well in that medium.

http://arttalkinthecity.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/for-the-love-of-nature-arwynn-davey/


So I went back into my collection of photos I've collected from the Weather Channel, no less, and found this little beauty; my next project.


There are many ways to begin this type of portrait; paint on silk, wax resist outlines and free embroidery. I prefer to make a simple cartoon. I closely match the colours as if it were painted. This helps to conceal any spots that might be missed.



Rather than a very stark background (could it be I'm tired of winter?) I choose a batik that has a pattern reminiscent of the flower.

Then I choose my thread colours.




All I have to do is start layering the thread.

So here we are to date. Tomorrow I will start adding the Queen Anne's Lace flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment